|Course code module||MMIBD-310|
|Study load (hours)||168|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||semester exam in June|
|Contract restriction information:|
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
- to get acquainted with the key concepts in the domain of international security.
- to get to know the most important current global security issues.
- to be able to analyse international security problems in a realistic and critical way
- to report this in a scientific, but fluent way (written)
- to be able to express onself in group about these issues (orally)
3. Course content
The objective is to get the students acquainted with the analysis of international security. Subjects which are dealt with are: threats to international peace and security; the concept security and the field of security studies; terrorism; nuclear deterrence and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction; interstate wars: trends and causes; strategy (e.g. Revolution in Military Affairs) and "Grand Strategy"; European Security and Defense Policy; intelligence; intra-state conflicts; conflictmanagement, collective security and the role of the UN (e.g. Blue Helmets and humanitarian interventions), peacekeeping and peacebuilding (democratization, sustainable development, nation-building, good governance).
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: Lectures
5. Assessment method
Exam: Written, without oral presentationOpen questions
Continuous assessment: Assignments
6. Compulsory reading – study material
Reader with articles.
7. Recommended reading - study material
Provided to the students via Blackboard.
laatste aanpassing: last update: 28/03/2007 16:43 tom.sauer