Seminar European integration
|Course code module||MMIBD-560|
|Study load (hours)||168|
|Language of instruction:||English|
|Semester exam information:||semester exam in June|
|Contract restriction information:||exam and credit contract not possible|
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
- to gain knowledge about European integration in general and more in particular about EU decision-making, EU-negotiations and EU-energy policy.
- to develop a critical attitude towards EU related issues and media coverage
- to develop the skills of writing and presenting reports and negotiating in a simulated real life setting
3. Course content
The Seminar on European Integration is embedded in Taceuss, which is an international consortium of European and US Universities. Taceuss yearly organises EUROSIM, an international simulation of EU negotiations and decision-making. During the academic year 2006 - 2007, the simulation will be organised in Buffalo, NY (April 12 - 15), on the topic of EU energy policy. The Seminar on European Integration is basically a preparation for the EUROSIM simulation in Buffalo. Participants will receive a thorough introduction in EU decision-making and the theme of the simulation. In addition, skills such as negotiating and debating will be exercised.
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: LecturesExercise sessionsSkills training
Personal work: Assignments - individualAssignments - in groupExcursion(s)
5. Assessment method
Exam: Practical exam
Written assignment: With oral presentation
6. Compulsory reading – study material
powerpoint presentations; reader; simulation material
7. Recommended reading - study material
Nugent, Neil. 2006. Government and Politics of the European Union. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
laatste aanpassing: last update: 02/05/2007 10:59 annick.debroey