|Course code module||1MFVD040|
|Study load (hours)||84|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||exam in the 1st semester|
|Contract restriction information:||faculty decision|
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
Insight into the theoretical foundations of film analysis (interpretation, description), applied to sound, color and cinematic staging.
3. Course content
Cinematic images suggest as well as solve problems. Film analysis, then, consists of discovering those problems. Theoretical considerations, exploring the role of interpretation and description, are applied to three crucial parameters: sound, color and cinematic staging. The approach is based on Anglo-Saxon as well as French theory (Aumont, Bordwell, Carroll, Chion,...).
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: Lectures
5. Assessment method
Written assignment: Without oral presentation
6. Compulsory reading – study material
Capita selecta from the following books:
- Aumont (Jacques), À quoi pensent les films ?, Paris: Nouvelles Éditions Séguier, 1996.
- Batchelor (David), Chromophobia, London: Reaktion Books, 2000.
- Bordwell (David), Making Meaning: Inference and Rhetoric in the Interpretation of Cinema, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1989.
- Bordwell (David), Figures Traced in Light: On Cinematic Staging, Berkeley: University of California Press, 2005.
Carroll (Noël), On Criticism, New York: Routledge, 2009.
- Chion (Michel), Un art sonore, le cinéma : histoire, esthétique, poétique, Paris: Cahiers du cinéma, 2003.
- Collini (Stefan), Interpretation and Overinterpretation: Umberto Eco, with Richard Rorty, Jonathan Culler, Christine Brooke-Rose, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992.
- Dalle Vacche (Angela) en Brian Price, Color: The Film Reader, New York: Routledge, 2006.
- Sontag (Susan), Against Interpretation, London: Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1967.
7. Recommended reading - study material
The films that have been discussed during the lectures.
After class and by appointment.
laatste aanpassing: last update: 23/11/2009 12:49 peter.kravanja