|Course code module||3BPOW-051|
|Study load (hours)||168|
|Language of instruction:||English|
|Semester exam information:||exam in the 2nd semester|
|Contract restriction information:|
No specific prerequisites required.
Introduction to Political Science (1BPSW-06)
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
- to create basic knowledge about the proces of European integration: history, institutions, main policy domains and current agenda.
- to learn how to gather information on the EU, to apply basic knowledge on current issues and to report orally and in written form
- to learn how to develop arguments with respect to current European issues
3. Course content
This course is an introduction on the European Union. All basic aspects of European integration are dealt with: history of European integration, theories of European integration, main current isssues (enlargement, institutional reform, foreign policy, ...) institutions and decision-making, and the main policy domains. It also includes skill modules on 'European Documentation Online' and on 'Developing Arguments and Debating'.
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: LecturesExercise sessionsSkills training
Personal work: ExercisesAssignments - individualPaper - individual
5. Assessment method
Exam: Oral, with written preparationOpen book
6. Compulsory reading – study material
Bache, Ian and Stephen George. 2006. Politics in the European Union. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Powerpoint handouts andsyllabi available through Blackboard.
7. Recommended reading - study material
Complimenatry literature from other textbooks and Political Science journals.
weekly office hours
laatste aanpassing: last update: 15/02/2011 12:20 peter.bursens