|Course Code :||3200PSWIVE|
|Study domain:||Political Sciences|
|Semester:||Semester: 2nd semester|
|Study load (hours):||168|
|Contract restrictions: ||Exam contract not possible|
|Language of instruction :||Dutch|
|Exam period:||exam in the 2nd semester|
At the start of this course the student should have acquired the following competences:
An active knowlegde of :A passive knowledge of :
2. Learning outcomes
- to be acquainted with the theories and key concepts in the domain of international security.
- to be aware of the most important current global security issues.
- to be able to analyse international security problems in a realistic and critical way
- to report about these issues in a scientific (but fluent) way (written)
- to be able to work together on a written report and present the results orally in the form of a powerpoint presentation
3. Course contents
The objective is to get the students acquainted with the analysis of international security. Subjects which are dealt with are: theories and key concepts in the field of security studies; (catastrophic) terrorism; nuclear deterrence and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction; interstate wars: causes, trends, and solutions in the form of collective security and the role of the UN (e.g. Blue Helmets and humanitarian interventions); European Security and Defense Policy (in the form of a visit to NATO, both in Evere and SHAPE); intelligence; intra-state conflicts, inclduing causes, and conflictmanagement, peacekeeping and peacebuilding (democratization, sustainable development, nation-building, good governance); coercive diplomacy (case-study Iran).
4. Teaching method
Class contact teaching: LecturesTutorials
Personal work: Assignments:In groupPaper: In group
5. Assessment method and criteria
Examination: Written without oral presentationOpen-question
Continuous assessment: Assignments
6. Study material
Reader with articles.
The following study material can be studied on a voluntary basis:
Provided to the students via Blackboard.
7. Contact information
Prof Dr Tom Sauer
Departement Politieke Wetenschappen
Fac.Pol en Sociale Wetenschappen
Lokaal M273 (Meerminne, tweede verdieping hoogbouw)
(+)last update: 10/06/2011 12:51 tom.sauer