International diplomacy: capita selecta
|Course code module||FTEMAJ0041|
|Study load (hours)||168|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||permanent evaluation|
|Contract restriction information:|
Students must have successfully completed one of the bachelors offered by the faculties of economics or applied economics in the EU. Students having successfully completed bachelors offered by other faculties are accepted upon successful completion of a special program.
Students are expected to take the master international relations.
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
- The aim of this seminar is to prepare students for the diplomatic career
- Students must acquire skills as put forward by the government with respect to the so called diplomatic exam
- Students must learn how to synthesize texts
- Students must be able to communicate both in French and English
3. Course content
- In this seminar we deal with topics that are relevant to the diplomatic exam but that have not been dealt with in the other courses and seminars in the major "international relations"
- Guest speakers -mostly alumni who opted for the diplomatic career- will give appropriate information as to the skills and the activities of a diplomat
- Simulation tests will be organized in order to increase the students' success rates
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: Seminars (possible question and answer sessions)Skills training
5. Assessment method
Exam: Oral, without written preparation
6. Compulsory reading – study material
Syllabus International Diplomacy
7. Recommended reading - study material
- Rik Coolsaet, België en zijn buitenlandse politiek. 1830-2000, Leuven, 2003.
- L. Cuyvers en B. Kerremans, Internationale organisaties, Antwerpen; Apeldoorn, Garant, 2005.
- L. Cuyvers, R. Embrechts en G. Rayp, Internationale economie, Antwerpen; Apeldoorn, Garant, 2002
- F. Naert, S. Vanden Bussche, H. Geeroms, De Europese Unie: Economische Fundamenten, Intersentia, 2007.
By mutual arrangement with the instructor
laatste aanpassing: last update: 01/06/2007 09:09 paul.roosens