Contemporary Cultural Sector
|Course code module||FUR00055E0|
|Study load (hours)||84|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||semester exam in January|
|Contract restriction information:|
none, only a few basic skills, like making a paper, ...
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
1. Insight in the history of Flemish cultural policy;
2. Critical questions like: What is the role of the government according to culture? How does cultural policy take shape?
3. Overview of the cultural field: who are the main protagonists? What are the objectives of cultural policy? ...
4. Knowledge and insight in the Flemish/Belgian/European legislation about culture;
5. Being informed about latest evolutions in legislation;
6. Develop a critical attitude towards culture policy;
7. Knowledge of certain specific cultural terms, like 'cultural competence', a 'convenant', 'cultural participation', etc...
3. Course content
This course will give an overview of the contemporary cultural sector in Flanders. There will be special attention to the structure of the culture Field. What are the different professional and sectoral organisations? What is the role of the government? And last but not least, we will discuss and criticize cultural legislation in Flanders.
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: Lectures
Personal work: Assignments - individualSupervised self-study
5. Assessment method
Exam: Oral, with written preparationOpen bookOpen questions
Written assignment: Without oral presentation
6. Compulsory reading – study material
a reader (possibly on cdrom) containing various policy reports, legislation and critical articles on cultural politics
7. Recommended reading - study material
a selective bibliography on cultural politics. Each year the students have to read one book (for example 'the cultural regime' by Rudi Laermans) and make a critical paper about it.
laatste aanpassing: last update: 01/06/2006 01:01 ecampus