|Course code module||MREC0780-A|
|Study load (hours)||84|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||semester exam in June|
|Contract restriction information:|
Bachelor of laws.
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
Knowledge of national, European and international law on the legal position of immigrants.
3. Course content
Migration law covers the rules on the residence status and, more generally, the legal status of migrants in Belgium. This course will focus on:
- residence law (Aliens Act of 15 December 1980);
- labour and social security law;
- the significance of international law (i.a. Refugee Convention, European Human Rights Convention, International Convention on the Rights of Children);
- Europe and migration law (free movement of persons; European migration and asylum policy).
Students will also follow the guest lectures of the Chair on Migration Law (Centre for Migration and Intercultural Studies).
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: LecturesTutorials
5. Assessment method
Exam: Written, with oral presentationOpen bookOpen questions
Continuous assessment: Case studies
6. Compulsory reading – study material
Reader with cases and materials, available at the university's printshop.
7. Recommended reading - study material
laatste aanpassing: last update: 08/10/2007 15:50 hylke.somers