|Course code module||FLWTL00030|
|Study load (hours)||84|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||exam in the 1st semester|
|Contract restriction information:|
A basic knowledge of literature and linguistics is needed to be able to understand the scientific articles.
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
During this course, students are expected to:
- Track down information on literature and linguistics via bibliographies, catalogues and the internet.
- Efficiently search for information in a library.
- Select valuable and useful sources from the collected information with a critical attitude.
- Compile a bibliography according to the rules and learn how to refer to their sources.
- Demonstrate the skills needed to write a bachelor- or master paper.
- Show their knowledge of the production and the parts of a book by describing a copy from the hand-press period.
3. Course content
This course serves to equip students with the practical skills needed to carry out scientific research in linguistics and literature. Starting from a scientific perspective, students learn how to locate sources and collect information from bibliographies, libraries and the internet. Emphasis is placed on major works of reference in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish language and literature. The students will then learn how to critically evaluate and select primary and secondary sources. In doing so, they will gain a clear understanding of the data carriers (manuscript, book, cd, website, ¿). Finally, the students will develop the skills needed to present the results of their scientific research.
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: Lectures
Personal work: Assignments - individualExcursion(s)Portfolio
5. Assessment method
Exam: Oral, without written preparationPractical exam
Written assignment: With oral presentation
Portfolio: With oral presentation
6. Compulsory reading – study material
H. Meeus, Wetenschappelijke vaardigheden. 2008 (Universitas).
H. Meeus, Heuristiek. 2008 (Universitas).
7. Recommended reading - study material
Students can ask questions on Blackboard
laatste aanpassing: last update: 02/05/2009 18:50 hubert.meeus