|Course code module||1MBMW-K-002|
|Study load (hours)||168|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||exam in the 1st semester|
|Contract restriction information:||exam contract not possible|
B.Sc. in biomedical sciences or biology
A credit has to be obtained for all courses in Ba1 and Ba2.
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
-Basic understanding of the ecology of infectious diseases and how ecological dynamics are important in the development of disease control strategies. Understanding the role of models as tools to this effect.
- Understand how the environment affects the distribution of an infectious disease, throughs effects on the parasites, vectors and hosts.
- Understand how environmental interventions can contribute to infectious disease management.
3. Course content
1 General population ecology
2 Parasite ecology
3 Geography of infectious diseases, biodiversity, climate effects
4 Remote sensing and GIS techniques
5 Epidemiology of tropical infectious diseases (a.o. study designs, qualitative vs. quantitative methods, screening, sampling, data entry/analysis)
6 Epidemiology of infectious diseases: risk-analyses, dynamical simulation models
8 Model system: Malaria
9 Model system: Malaria
10 Organisation of disease control programs
- Simple static disease models
- Dynamical disease models
- Remote sensing and GIS
- Rule-based models
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: LecturesExercise sessions
Personal work: ExercisesAssignments - individual
5. Assessment method
Exam: Oral, with written preparation
6. Compulsory reading – study material
7. Recommended reading - study material
Yearly updated list of free software to be downloaded for the exercises.
Bringing your own laptop to class is not a requirement but makes things easy.
Direct contact with teachers, in person or by email.