|Course code module||1BPSW-07|
|Study load (hours)||168|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||exam in the 1st semester|
|Contract restriction information:|
No specific prerequisites required.
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
- knowledge of and insight into the basic sociological concepts and theories
- insight into the sociological perspective and understanding of the way the 'sociological imagination' operates
3. Course content
The course offers an introduction into the main areas of sociology, the key concepts, the historical debates and basic approaches to the discipline of sociology. Main topics are: the sociological perspective, culture and society, socialization, social interaction in everyday life, groups and organizations, deviance, social stratification, ethnicity, the family, religion, education, labor and globalization.
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: Lectures
5. Assessment method
Exam: Written, without oral presentation
6. Compulsory reading – study material
Macionis (2008), Sociology. London: Pearson.
7. Recommended reading - study material
After class and by appointment.