|Course code module||MREC0761-A|
|Study load (hours)||84|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||exam in the 1st semester|
|Contract restriction information:|
No specific propaedeutic of insurance or transport law is assumed. However a general legal-economic-technical basic knowledge of (international) trade is expected.
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
Thorough knowledge and understanding of all current aspects of marine and transport insurance.
Acquaintance with the entire context of the subject matter, in order to allow efficient further self study and problem solving analysis of new problems.
Orientation in and understanding of the functioning of the practical transport insurance market.
3. Course content
Shall be treated :
- the sources of legislation and regulation
- the transport insurance business (organisation, functioning, parties and intermediaries involved)
- the categories of transport insurance (cargo, hull, liabililty)
- Marine insurance in Belgium (Marine Insurance Act, Antwerp cargo insurance policy) and in Great Brittain (Marince Insurance Act and Institute Clauses), organisation and functioning of P&I Clubs, Lloyds of London.
- Inland navigation insurance in Belgium and in The Netherlands
- Insurance of road transport (CMR policy)
- Aviation insurance
- Rail transport insurance
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: Lectures
5. Assessment method
Exam: Written, without oral presentationClosed bookOpen questions
6. Compulsory reading – study material
A syllabus with model documents is available.
The print out of the power point presentation is also available as a guideline of the lectures.
On the website is indicated where the relevant legislation and regulation texts can be found.
7. Recommended reading - study material
- K. BERNAUW, R. DE WIT, E. SOMERS, F. STEVENS, Wetboek Vervoer, Brussels, Larcier, 2007
- H. COUSY, C. VAN SCHOUBROECK, Wetgeving Verzekeringen, Mechelen, Kluwer, 2008.
Individual and oral explanation before, during or after the lectures.
Individual explanation in writing via e-mail.