The programme knows 4 subdisciplines:
(i) Clinical chemistry: this domain encompasses biochemistry, endocrinology, immunology, toxicology and therapeutic drug monotoring.
(ii) Hematology: morphology, transfusion, solidification, cellular immunology (flowcytometrics)
(iii) Microbiology: bacteriology, virology, parisitology and mycology
(iv) Molecular biology: microbiology and (hemato) oncology)
Within each discipline, the folloxing competences are to be acquired:
- The master knows the indications for laboratory research in the different subdisciplines.
- The master can apply and independently carry out different methods of monster taking. The master has insight in the different pre-analytical aspects and their impact on the final research result.
- The master can evaluate the quality of analytical methods.
- As a consultant, the master critically interprets laboratory results to the hospital.
- The master can write (a) scientific publication(s) in peer-reviewed scientifc magazines in at least one subdiscipline.
- The master can manage a clinical laboraty an knows the legislation and the principles of quality control. He/she can lead in an accredited laboratory.