Transmural care delivery
|Course code module||MM-VPLVR016|
|Semester:||1st and 2nd semester|
|Study load (hours)||140|
|Instructor(s)||Etienne I J J Vermeire|
|Language of instruction:||Dutch|
|Semester exam information:||exam in the 2nd semester|
|Contract restriction information:||faculty decision|
- Thoroughgoing knowledge of physio-pathological processes relevant for an adequate care delivery in nursing and midwifery.
- Knowledge of and mastering relevant care processes in the nursing and midwifery and placing it in the current theoretical framework of nursing and midwifery.
Mastering competences writing in the course details or passed the bridging programme
2. Objectives (expected learning outcomes)
At the end of this course the students have a thorough knowledge of primary healthcare, residential care, transmural care, and chronic and/or complex care. The students prove their expertise by performing an observation assignment and reporting about it.
3. Course content
- To be able to provide, organise and support or evaluate transmural care, a fundamental knowledge of the different levels in healthcare is necessary.
Most of the nurses only have knowledge and feeling with the hospital- or institional medicine.
- Primary healthcare and residential care will be thoroughtly discussed concering the content and the differences with other levels in healthcare. There will be talked about legal and organisational aspects of primary healthcare on federal and regional policy levels in Belgium. Furthermore, primary healthcare will be studied in international perspective.
- Also elderly care in RVT/ROB and serviceflats will be discussed. Within this framework we will talk about the different scales for limitations of the possibility of self-care.
- Also the part the OCMW plays in healthcare will be exposed. The role of self-help groups, palliative networks and familycare will be discussed.
- Definition, models, organisation, implementation and the fixation of transmural care will be thoroughly discussed
- We will talk about the problem of chronic and complex care: Epidemiology, organisation and models of complex chronical care. In addition we will pay attention to specific psychological problems which caretakers and persons with chronic diseases encounter.
Therapeutic Patient Education plays an important part in the guidance of persons with chronic and/or complex care-related problems: Adherence concordance and empowerment are a few examples.
The psychological aspects of chronic care are revealed.
4. Teaching method
Direct contact: LecturesExercise sessions
Personal work: Assignments - individualAssignments - in group
5. Assessment method
Written assignment: With oral presentation
6. Compulsory reading – study material
Compulsory reading material will be delivered.
7. Recommended reading - study material
Grol R, Wensing M. Implementatie. Effectieve verandering in de patiëntenzorg. Elsevier gezondheidszorg, Maarssen 2001
Spreewenberg C et al (red). Handboek transmurale zorg. Elsevier gezoendheidzorg, Maarssen 2000
laatste aanpassing: last update: 12/01/2010 08:31 david.kums