- Major research interests: international security, more in particular (nuclear) arms control, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, disarmament, missile defense.
- Current research interests: US tactical nuclear weapons in Europe; Iranian nuclear programme; US missile defense; emerging powers (Brazil, South Africa, Egypt, and Turkey) and the nuclear non-proliferation regime
- Minor research interests: catastrophic terrorism; American foreign policy; European security and defense policy.
Vice-Chairman of the Department of Politics
Head of Research Group International Politics
Opleidingsvoorzitter van de Master-na-Master in Internationale Betrekkingen en Diplomatie
Teaches Introduction to International Relations; International Security; Diplomacy and Negotiating [all in Dutch]; Arms Control and Proliferation [in English]
Visiting Professor at:
- Postgraduate in International Politics at the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)(Brussels): Nuclear weapons: deterrence, proliferation, and disarmament [10 hour module in English];
- International School on Disarmament and Research on Conflicts (ISODARCO) Winter Course (Andalo, Italy): lectures on nuclear weapon policies; tactical nuclear weapons [in English].
Member of Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs
Awarded Ambassador for Peace Prize by Pax Christi Flanders, 2009.
- Associate Professor, Department of Politics, University of Antwerp, 2012
- Assistant Professor, Department of Politics, University of Antwerp, 2008
- Assistant Professor (part-time), Department of Politics, University of Antwerp, 2004
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Fund for Scientific Research Flanders (FWO), 2002-2008 (part-time since 2004)
- Visiting Fellow, EU Institute for Security Studies, Paris, April 2001
- Ph.D., Department of Politics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, March 2001
- Research Fellow, International Security Program, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, John F.Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge (Mass.)(USA), 1997-1999
- Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship, 1997-1998
- Individual NATO Research Grant, 1994-1996
- Pre-Doctoral Research Assistant, Department of Politics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Intern European Commission (DG I, External Relations), Winter 1993-1994
- Intern United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research (UNIDIR), Geneva (Switzerland), June 1993
- Graduate Diploma in Advanced International Studies, Bologna Center, Paul H.Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Johns Hopkins University, Bologna (Italy), 1992-1993
- Ma in International Politics, University of Hull (UK), 1991-1992
- Licentiaat in de Politieke en Sociale Wetenschappen, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 1989-1991
- Candidat en Sciences Politiques et Sociales, FUNDP, Namur, 1987-1989